Monday, March 17, 2008

Come Together

No I'm not going to break into Beatles song, although I would if I thought it would work. But I am going to break into full-on car salesman on you (which is infinitely easier when you used to be a car salesman):

It is time for Kansas Jayhawk fans and Kansas State Wildcat fans to come together if you will. Put away the "I was just helping the sheep over the fence" jokes... Jesus Sandal jabs be gone... It's not the spoiled hippy wannabes versus the clueless farmers...it's the spoiled hippy wannabes and the clueless farmers...Rock Chalk and EMAW together...I know, it sounds crazy... but follow me:

This weekend folks from all across Kansas will invade Nebraska, turning the Big Red State into sea of Crimson, Blue and Purple. They have an opportunity to take the city over, but only if they work together. What if 40% of the crowd is Jayhawk fans? And let's say 35% of them are K-State fans? What if, just for one weekend, they united as Big 12 fans...united against the original posers from So Cal...against the cheese heads from Wisconsin...what if they just flat out took the city over? I'll tell you what would happen, they'd both punch a ticket to the Sweet 16 and Detroit.

Both teams should have a home court advantage by themselves, but with help from their rival school? Does anyone really think K-State can't handle the Trojans at Bramlage? What about Wisconsin? Well what if the Qwest Center into Bramlage North for the weekend...at least when K-State is playing...The Jayhawks can EMAW right a long with their farmer bretheren...maybe even wave a Power Towel or two....okay, maybe that's going too far...but you get the point.

Listen, I'm not asking Jayhawk fans to wear purple or anything...and I'm not asking the Wildcats to break out in Rock Chalk Jayhawk at the end of the game...but let's present a united front...let's send two teams from Kansas, two teams from the Big 12, on to Detroit...to the Sweet 16...and only one game away from the rubber match of what is once again turning into a rivalry. Then we can start with the jokes about Bill Self's (alleged) hair piece and Frank Martin's (not so alleged) over sized suits...

1 comment:

GingerBalls said...

I am heading to Omaha for Saturday and I must say you do make a compelling argument. I have been thinking about the possibility of me rooting for K-State since the brackets were released and I guess I still have not figured out what I will actually do. If it was MU, obviously that is a no brainer. I don't think I can, but I guess I will find out on Saturday.