Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Life as a Romantic Comedy?

In ’97 we had everything. She was my desire and I had the talent and ambition to fulfill her every need…and then I met Jim Beam. Is it a story that’s been told a thousand times? Sure but a Sigmund Bloom tweet brought it all back to the forefront…and brought me back to the one that got away.
In the beginning I was too arrogant, too lazy, and far too distractable to deserve the object of my affection, and it took me less than 5 months at the University of Missouri to prove it. While she was begging me to go to class I was running bets for a local bookie and staying up until 3 in the morning playing Madden for $100 a game. I went there with a dream and came home knowing it was not my talent that failed, but far worse, my work ethic. I was the Jamarcus Russell of sports journalism and Beam was my Codeine.
After two years as a car salesman I saw her again from a distance and couldn’t resist the urge to chase…she still had it. Before I knew it my sole employment was announcing small town high school football and basketball games at KDKD 95.3 and trying to sell ads in a market that you couldn’t even hear the station. The laziness was no longer a problem as I knew how lucky I was to have a second chance. I gave her everything I had, and she gave me $25 a game and diminishing commissions (Don Draper, I was not). Maybe she was trying to punish me for sins of the past, but she made it pretty much impossible to support my kids and, regrettably, I had to stop chasing.
Then there’s this place... KCSportsReport. In its initial incarnation it was (supposed to be) less blog and more RSS feed (before such a thing existed) for all things KC Sports. The feedback I got was that people wanted more original content which led to this article that actually ended up on Tigerboard.com. That was maybe the apex of our relationship. Feedback from the article was venomous (but at least that means they read it) and I was on top of the world. Then of course, she disappeared and with her my readers.
That's the thing about this slightly sickening chain of events. In the time that I've failed and been failed, I've watched Bill Simmons go from blogger to Multi-Media Mogul. Now, obviously he has ridiculous talent but I've also watched guys like Nick Wright become sports talk radio hosts...and freaking Fake Ned Yost become a pop culture icon here in KC. Yet here I go again...
This isn't the first time (or second or third) that I've tried to fire this blog back up, and in reality Bloom's tweet probably received hundreds of applications from semi-bloggers like myself. But the characters don't write the script. I'll start blogging again and we'll leave it up to Bloom and the rest of footballguys.com to decide if my life is indeed a romantic comedy or just another Willie Nelson song (I've almost a box set).

1 comment:

stevo! said...

its about (gosh darned) time you post! i kept you linked on my site all these years believing one day, the kc sports report would rise from the dead.

in the words of the theme song to one of my favorite sitcoms of all time, "welcome back, welcome back, welcome back!!!"

and i'd still kick gretz' (rear end) in a drinking competition ...