Saturday, December 22, 2007

Tiger fans upset?

I want to preface this article by saying two things:

1. I don't think the Tigers or Illini are legitimate NCAA Tourney caliber teams. After watching tonight's game I think it's feasible that either could sneak in as an 11 or 12 seed, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both of them on the outside of the bubble.

2. Both teams choked tonight. Mizzou, not even getting a shot off is unacceptable, but not as unacceptable as missing both free throws up by one with 10 seconds left. Mizzou fans have every right to be upset that their team blew a chance at a victory tonight.

Those things being said, I was astonished to hear Tiger fans calling in upset with head coach Mike Anderson after tonight's loss. What I saw tonight was a Tiger team that was outmanned by an Illinois team that is not very good. Sure, both programs are in less than desirable situations, but I'd much rather be a Tiger fan right now. In fact, I think recent history gives us a good parallel to the Tigers situation.

Just six years ago Mark Mangino took over a bad Kansas football program that had little to no talent and a horrible reputation. He spent five years losing close games to programs with more talent, and taking heat because of his poor record, especially in close games. Most KU fans accepted how bad of a situation Mangino was put in and appreciated how he had the team playing.

As I watched the Tigers tonight all I could think of was how much more enjoyable this team was too watch than previous Tiger teams that had much more talent. Gone are the days of teams playing frustratingly below their potential. This team overachieves and plays the right way. I would think Mizzou fans would appreciate this if anyone would. On the other side of the coin Illinois has gone from a team playing for the National Championship to losing to Miami (OH) and squeaking out a win vs. a down Missouri team. I thought it was apparent watching these two teams that Mike Anderson is doing a much better job than Coach Weber.

Everyone seems to acknowledge that Mike Anderson still doesn't have "his players," but I don't think that fully explains the situation. Anderson doesn't really even have "good players". Neither did Mangino his first several years. The fact that Mizzou basketball has always had a better program than KU football makes me think that Anderson's turn around will happen sooner than Mangino's as well. While I don't expect the Tigers to make huge strides this year, I'd say Mizzou fans have a lot to look forward to over the next few years. A lot more than the Illini at least.

No comments: