Monday, January 7, 2008

2008 Big 12 Basketball Preview

It would be easy (especially for an admitted KU fan) to write 1500 words about how the Jayhawks are the class of the league and this race is already over. Truth be told, the race probably is over, but there is still a lot at stake in this conference. So much so, that I'm mentioning the Hawks in the first paragraph and the last, besides that we're focusing on everyone else. The Jayhawks are everyone's choice to win the conference and barring disaster they will, I also expect them to lock up a #1 seed, perhaps the #1 overall. But enough about the favorites...

The Race for the Two Seed...

Coming in to this season I would have said A&M is a solid #2, if not in the argument as the best team in the conference. They've pretty much been what I expected and Billy Gillespie may already be regretting his move to Kentucky (although I doubt his bank account is). Still, Texas has been so good (dominating Tennessee and beating UCLA) that you have to put them in this debate. I'd have to say Texas has more talent but I've never been a huge Rick Barnes fan and I think A&M may be the better team. Odds are they split and both lose to Kansas, but I think A&M wins this race because Texas loses a couple of games they shouldn't.

The Battle for the Bye...

Realistically you might be able to make a case for anyone not named Oklahoma State, Colorado or Iowa State for the 4 seed. Mizzou looked solid at the beginning of the year, OU and Nebraska look much improved over last year, even Baylor has looked impressive at times (I really like Junior Curtis Jerrells). In my opinion though, this comes down to two teams, KSU and Texas Tech. Talent vs. coaching...Of course after Knight's latest debacle this is assuming he finishes the year without getting booted. Michael Beasley continues to amaze me and I'm almost certain he'll carry the Wildcats into the NCAA tournament...but I still like the Red Raiders for the 4 seed.

The Tournament Teams...
This being the last paragraph, we have to mention the Jayhawks here as a #1 seed, after that it's pretty murky. I like A&M and Texas to both receive three seeds, and if one of them sweeps the other or wins the Big 12 tournament they may sneak in as a 2. I think Texas Tech and Kansas State both get in, with Tech as an 8/9 seed and the Wildcats as a 10/11. Nebraska, Oklahoma and Baylor will all probably battle it out for the final spot and I'd give the edge to Nebraska right now. I actually think Oklahoma has the better resume, but I could see Nebraska picking up more wins playing in the North and they're already 11-2.

Final Projections
Kansas 14-2, #1 seed
A&M 13-3, #3 seed
Texas 12-4, #3 seed
Tech 10-6, #9 seed
KSU 10-6, #10 seed
Nebraska 9-7, #11 seed
Oklahoma 8-8, NIT
Missouri 6-10, NIT
Baylor 5-11
Iowa St 4-12
OSU 3-13
Colorado 2-14

The Awards

Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year (and whatever else you want to give him)- Michael Beasley

Coach of the Year- Doc Sadler

All Big 12 First Team
Michael Beasley
DJ Augustin
Aleks Maric
Curtis Jerrells
Joseph Jones

No comments: