Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday Funnies with Big John

So this is kind of a morphing blog. I've been running Friday Funnies for over a month now, starting with Christmas Pinatas in December then Mangino, a face off of "allegedly" drunk Chiefs writers, and last week's short but sweet Border War edition. Point being, Friday Funnies has been the most consistent portion of the Sports Report and judging by visitors one of the more popular. Where does the morphing come in then? Well, I like to read about sports and thought that reviews of these books might be interesting to some people, especially if you're looking for something to read. Well, I wasn't sure it really fit in to the overall site so I'd kind of put it off until today...because it fits into to Friday Funnies.

That's because the most recent book I've read "Golf My Own Damn Way" from John Daly will literally make you laugh out loud and help the average golfer cut strokes off. The book starts with a quote from Jimmy Demaret that most golfers have heard "Golf and Sex are about the only things you can have fun doing without being any good at" and the rest of the Introduction is spent analyzing both the quote and the man (Demaret won three Masters titles).

Chapter 1 covers getting ready for your round of golf where Daly *gasp* implores you to skip the beer in the clubhouse and start at the range. This is where I recognized this book is actually written to make your golf game better.

His first tip? When putting, Get the $#$@#@ ball to the $#$@*& hole! Not bad advice so far.

Chapter 5 is titled: "Get your head out of the game", now this sounds like Big John...The prevailing theme is that thinking is for the practice range, don't think on the course. Including this gem "$#!!, with all that thinking going on it's amazing every swing isn't a whiff".

Okay, I don't want to give the whole book away, but other topics include...

- How to line up properly (doesn't involve your feet)
- Things he doesn't like about the PGA Tour
- Bunkerphobia
- The "other thing" sex and golf have in common
- Putt how you like, just don't use one of those long putters (equally hilarious and offending the pros that do).
- John's favorite courses, as well as his disdain for par 3s
- Playing golf with Hootie and Blowfish...and Kid Rock

Even if you don't like golf, you'll laugh when you read it. Anyone who knows Daly knows he isn't your traditional golfer and he lets it show here. The downside to that? I'll pretty much guarantee neither the PGA Tour nor several of his fellow golfers enjoyed the book...he pulls no punches. If you do like (or play) golf, you'll love the book and I'd guess it'll improve your game as well.

I wish I was big time enough that someone thought this was a paid plug for Daly's new book. In case someone (most likely a first time reader) does, it's not. It's my attempt to bring something new to the site and maybe something new to your bookshelf.

Let me know what you think of it...should I review the next book I read? Should I do it regularly? Should I never do it again? Let me know below...

No comments: