Sunday, January 6, 2008

Too Blue?

I received some feedback last night that perhaps the Sports Report was becoming too focused on the Kansas Jayhawks. Worse yet I received comparisons to notorious KU homer Marty Wall of 610 Sports. My thoughts are mixed...

For one I think the accusations are probably somewhat accurate as I'm a KU fan and everyone knows it. But I've tried pretty hard to be unbiased, picking the Tigers to destroy Arkansas and writing what I thought was a glowing review of Tony Temple's Cotton Bowl performance. I've even defended Head Coach Mike Anderson against MU fans. But apparently the overtone is still there, sorry.

On the other hand, having lived in KC my entire life, I've always heard Mizzou fans refer to the KU Star, referencing a perceived bias towards the Jayhawks. I also hear people calling in to sports talk radio hosts complaining about more coverage for the Jayhawks. So is it just me? Is it everyone? Or is it Tiger fans' perception?

I think it's a little of all of the above. The fact is, Kansas City is closer to Lawrence than Columbia or Manhatten, and during basketball season there are a lot more positive things to write about the Jayhawks. I'll try to keep my bias in check with the rest of the Kansas City media as long as Tiger fans promise to keep complaining to me about it.

No comments: