Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Randomness

I had no idea what to write about today, but I'd promised something new every day... so I'm stealing from the headlines in the left column today...

1. I watched Ohio State and LSU last night and I'm not certain how anyone can say we definitively found our National Champion. Which leads me to Joe Posnanski's article today in which he picked his own champion based on reader votes. He argues that his champ (Missouri by one vote over Kansas) is every bit as legitimate and it is hard to argue. Could Missouri or Kansas play with LSU and Ohio State? Certainly with Ohio State, probably with LSU. This leads me to the final AP poll with Mizzou 4th, Kansas 7th and Oklahoma 8th. How in the world can you rank those teams? There isn't an argument one that makes any sense at all for any of the three of those teams to be ahead of the other. By the same token, does #2 Georgia or #3 USC deserve to be ranked ahead of Mizzou? What about #5 Ohio State over Kansas? This is why the entire system is absurd. An 8 team playoff would have answered all of these questions and given us a true National Champion.

2. Aqib Talib and Anthony "Mama gotta eat" Collins are going pro. No surprise and I hope they're drafted highly....but I'm worried about Collins. He was not impressive in his last two games as a Jayhawk, hope that doesn't knock him out of the first round.

3. K-State held Savannah State to 25 points last night...and yes, it was a men's game. I've heard a lot already about how terrible Savannah State is...and they are, but still...25 points? One field goal in the second half? This isn't a 1-15 team, they've won 8 games...they've played Wisconsin, Marquette, Nebraska and haven't been held to 25 points below 30....and it's not like this was just a low scoring game, the Wildcats put up 85! Four of the Tigers opponents haven't even scored 60, and that was the Wildcats margin of victory. Even in an exhibition game, you have to be good to beat someone by 60...now if they could just carry this over into Big 12 play my Big 12 Preview may not look so silly.

4. And the best for last, it looks like DA may be heading to Florida...I hope he sticks around long enough to fully recognize how horrible Roger Twibell is on the radio. It's atrociously bad sports talk. It reminds me of listening to the Harrisonville Wildcats football broadcast...which makes me wonder, has 610 Sports realized this yet? As much as we criticize Herm and Carl for the Chiefs failures, whoever is making the personnel decisions at 610 Sports should be canned.

No comments: